After the technological revolutions in the world, the whole world shifted to technology and also depend on technology. Technology makes life comfortable. In early times there is no concept of technology, for example, people travel with the help of animals and nowadays the journey is converted into hours. Vehicles, Aero-plane, and bikes are replaced by horses and camels, and other. which means technology has a very huge impact on human life because it makes life comfortable and easy for everyone. The revolution of technology in different fields changed the world totally in the medical field, up-gradation in military pieces of equipment, technology affect the way of travel, way of living, communication, etc. When the internet boom arrived in the world it has a become a major impact on life this caused the start of social media like E-MAIL, FACEBOOK, WHATSAPP, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM, AND PINTEREST, and LIKELDON have a huge impact on human life.
The rapid growth of technology in the 21st century has revolutionized the way we live, work, and communicate with each other. With the advent of social media, smartphones, and the internet, it’s easier than ever before to stay connected to the world. However, the impact of technology on mental health is a growing concern, and it’s important to understand both the positive and negative effects.
Positive Impact of Technology on Mental Health:
When the revolution came into the world it has a huge impact on human life this can change the world and after that, it make life comfortable and easy. There are many advantages and positive impacts on life which are given below.
- Access to Information: Technology provides people with easy access to a wealth of information and resources related to mental health. Online support groups, therapy apps, and mental health websites are just a few examples of how technology can help people find the support they need. The benefits of technology include that we have access to information about the world we can easily know about the world NEWS and also the other activities that are happening in the world. So, technology gives us an approach to every piece of information in the world.
- Improved Connectivity: Technology has made it easier for people to stay connected with their loved ones, even when they are physically apart. This can be particularly beneficial for individuals who are feeling isolated, as social media and messaging apps can provide a sense of community and support. With the revolution in technology we can call or text anyone with one click and also a feature of video call is introduced and due to it we have easy access to know about our beloved ones and know about their condition so, technology helps us to connect with other people.
- Convenient and Affordable Therapy: Technology has made therapy more accessible and affordable for many people. Tele-therapy and online counseling services have become increasingly popular, allowing individuals to receive therapy from the comfort of their own homes.
Negative Impact of Technology on Mental Health:
Although technology has very positive effects on human life it also has many negative impacts on human life which are discussed below.
- Increased Stress and Anxiety:
Excessive use of technology can lead to increased stress and anxiety. Social media and messaging apps can often create feelings of pressure and comparison, causing individuals to feel overwhelmed and stressed. Spending a lot of time on social media like FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and other apps increased our stress levels and especially affects our eyesight.
- Sleep Disturbances:
Technology has made it easier to be connected 24/7, but it can also lead to sleep disturbances. The blue light emitted from screens can interfere with the production of melatonin, making it difficult to fall asleep and stay asleep. If we talk about Today’s generation they are wasting their time chatting or watching movies etc all night and this has a very harmful impact on their mental and physical health this can cause sleep disturbance and due to which increases depression, anxiety, and weaken the eye-sight.
Where technology has a positive impact and in the same way it also has many sides effects the most important is that it makes it make people addicted to social media. People become so addicted to it that they spend all of their time on social media scrolling FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and YOUTUBE, and chatting with friends all the time making them addicted to technology as well as weakening their physical and mental health. Technology can be addictive, and many people find it difficult to put down their devices and disconnect. This can lead to a host of mental health problems, including depression, anxiety, and stress.
- Decreased Face-to-Face Interaction:
With the rise of technology, face-to-face interaction has become less common. This can lead to decreased social skills and a greater sense of isolation, both of which can have negative effects on mental health. With the increase of technology, people do not want to meet their beloved ones but just make a call and communicate with them which has a very bad impact on relationships because it weakens the love chain between the relationships.
Balancing Technology Use to Protect Mental Health:
- Set Limits:
It’s important to set limits on technology use and to make sure that it doesn’t interfere with other aspects of life, such as sleep, work, and relationships.
- Practice Mindfulness:
When using technology, it’s important to be mindful and present at the moment. Avoid multitasking and take breaks from screens regularly to prevent feelings of burnout.
- Seek Help:
If technology is affecting your mental health negatively, don’t hesitate to seek help. Talk to a trusted friend, family member, or mental health professional about your concerns and work together to find solutions.
Technology has both positive and negative impacts on mental health. While it provides access to information and support, it can also lead to increased stress and anxiety, sleep disturbances, and addiction. It’s important to use technology in a balanced and mindful way and to seek help if it starts affecting mental health negatively.